Victoria Terrace was one of the first streets in Ward Jackson's West Hartlepool and was to have been a street of some importance with Albert Square as the centrepiece. The first railway station was built in 1845 in Victoria Terrace but this was short lived and when a new station was built in Mainsforth Terrace in 1853, the railway cut off Victoria Terrace from Church Street and sliced through Albert Square in front of the Royal Hotel. It never regained importance and was demolished in 1965.
Taken very close to the time the buildings were demolished in 1965, this image shows that they had, when built in the mid 1800s, been quite grand. The Docks' Office and Customs House can be seen at the end of the terrace.More detail »