Sporting activities and Clubs in Seaton Carew.
Tennis being played in August 1889 on the court that was to the rear side of the chapel of Staincliffe House. Note the ladies dressed in their best.More detail »
The start of golf at Seaton was down to Dr Duncan McCuaig moving from Scotland to Middlesbrough in 1874. When he could find nowhere to play his beloved golf he searched for a suitable venue and eventually rented land at Seaton from Lord Eldon. To the left of the golf clubhouse there is the small block of houses known as Southend and the lifeboat house. To the right the building that became known as the Cafe Royal can be seen in the distance and nearer to the clubhouse is the flagpole.More detail »
Pattison's caption for this image was 'A Seaton Professional.' James Kay was born about 1855 in Scotland, was married to Kate & lived at Southend. Here he is in 1888 outside the clubhouse with his caddy. The cockle girl's shack is to the side of the view.More detail »
The man at the end with the beard is George Burlinson & the man in the back row with the dark jacket is Bowser Simms.More detail »
A group relax on the court near Staincliffe House. The female members of families have come to support their boys.More detail »
A group of tennis players at Seaton in 1889. Note the little dog in the center- wonder if he plays too!
The group includes Arthur Bunting, General Tilly & Lieutenant Tilly.More detail »