hartlepool history logo

Staincliffe Hotel

Details about Staincliffe Hotel

The Staincliffe Hotel, Seaton Carew.

The Staincliffe Hotel was built in 1869 as a house for the wealthy Hartlepool merchant Thomas Walker. The large villa was sold following Walkers death and the new owner added a billiards room to the rear in 1903. In 1921 the building was sold to Cresswell Gray, for use as a convalescence home for the workers of his father's ship building firm. The building was sold again in 1929 and converted to a hotel, the original conservatory was demolished in the 1930s and replaced with a ballroom. This large villa, formerly situated within very extensive grounds, occupies a large plot on the cliff top facing east over the North Sea. The building is of brick construction, painted and rendered, under a mixture of pitched and hipped roofs of slate. Its eclectic styling consists of several sections, including a main central section to the front of two storeys with attics and cellars, which has a shaped gable and a crennellated tower of three storeys.


Related items :