Marks & Spencer store, Hartlepool. Notes kindly given by Marks and Spencer Archives. Website as shown.
There is evidence that Marks & Spencer had a Penny Bazaar in the Market Hall in Hartlepool at the turn of the 20th century.
In 1909 a new branch was opened at 39 Lynn Street. This was part of the director William Chapman's expansionist policy. The store was an open fronted Penny Bazaar. There were no windows so the sales assistants worked unprotected from the elements at all times. Simple household items were displayed on the counters and hanging from the ceiling, all priced at one penny. The selling area was 18 feet, six inces by 39 feet, six inches. Six years later in 1915, the company took out a 15 year lease at a cost of £115 per annum. Fifty years later in 1959, Liptons the grocers had occupied the site and the ceiling that Marks & Spencer had put up in 1909 was still in first-class condition .
This branch was closed in 1926 with the opening of the new store in August at 47/49 Lynn Street. This store had large glass windows and the goods were carefully displayed within these. For example, on 20 August 1926 the window had a display of small toy dolls and miniature cars, toilet preparations, loofahs and crockery.
On 8 December 1933 this store was extended.
It was extended further on 24 November 1938. The main frontage covered 68 feet with a total selling area of 7,700 square feet.
This store was closed on 28 October 1969 on the advent of the new branch that was to open in the town's shopping centre.
This was opened two days later on 30 October 1969 at The Shopping Centre, Middleton Grange; the manager was Mr P. L. Moore. The main frontage measured 75 feet and the total sales area covered 18,500 square feet. Although Hartlepool had had a Marks & Spencer store in their town for almost 70 years this branch was on a new site and the store was bright, modern and in keeping with the new 1970s style of retail outlet.
In July 2002 the store was renewed. New signage and lighting were installed as part of the nationwide renewal programme.
In 2014, the Hartlepool store closed and a M and S Food Store replaced it at Anchor Retail Park at the Marina.
This is between Reed Street and Lambton Street. This photograph is of Dickson and Cross, drapers at Nos. 45 to 49. These premises were later occupied by Marks and Spencer, which at the time the photograph was taken, operated the Marks and Spencer Bazaar at No. 39 Lynn Street. No. 39 appears to be the shop occupied by W. Duncan in Photograph 'Lynn Street east 09'.
Dickson must have left the firm since the Trade Directory for 1921/2 listed the shop as Cross. By 1927/8, the shop had shrunk to just No. 45, with Marks and Spencer occupying No. 47 (and presumably 49). This photograph must therefore date from some time before 1927.More detail »
This is between Reed Street and Lambton Street. Having moved from further along the street, Marks and Spencer are occupying part of Cross's premises. The remainder of Cross's can be seen on the left of the photograph with the invitation to 'Walk round Cross's' inscribed on the pillar by the window. The edge of Boots frontage can be seen on the right.
The Trade Directory for 1927/8 is the first indication that Marks and Spencer have moved to this location. The directory for 1929/30 does not list Cross's and only Marks and Spencer is mentioned, implying they have taken over all the property. If so, then this photograph could be dated as the late 1920s.More detail »
Marks & Spencer Ltd.,at 47- 49 Lynn Street, West Hartlepool with Boots the Chemist on the right.
This shop had been Dickson and Cross previously and Marks and Spencer's original West Hartlepool shop was at number 39 Lynn Street next to the Market Buildings (in the direction of Musgrave Street) in a store later owned by Liptons and before demolition Duncan's food store.
The shop to the left on this photo also became part of Marks and Spencer's West Hartlepool store and the exterior of the upper floors were completely renovated.More detail »
This is the original Lynn Street store which was next to the Market Buildings at 39 Lynn Street. It was next door but one to Lamb's the jewellers going away from Church Street. At the time of the photo it seemed very much a hardware store, advertising tea sets at 8 shillings and 11 pence (about 45p today), baskets, earthenware and enamelled aluminium goods. The photo will have been taken before 1929 as by then the shop had moved to larger premises. This store became Lipton's.More detail »
On March 8th 1967, Marks and Spencer advertised their new provisions department in the Lynn Street store. Food sales began in the 1930s in London .The store had been in Lynn Street since 1909 and was to remain there till 1969.More detail »