Robert Robinson, Motor and Cycle Engineers & Factors, Hartlepool first opened in 1888 in York Road close to where the library is now. In 1898, he was the first dealer to sell a car in West Hartlepool and it was a Benz first driven by his 12 year old son. In 1933 he took a shop at Carlton Corner( corner of Dalton St and York Road) and added a radio department. In 1960 he extended the garage premises in Avenue Road.
Robert Robinson, Motor & Cycle Engineers & Factors, with the Grand Garage adjacent.More detail »
Now Tilly Bailey and Irvine Solicitors, from 1933 and for many years Robert Robinson's cycle shop stood at Carlton Corner on the corner of York Road and Dalton Street. The shop advertises BSA, Triumph, Raleigh, Rudge and Coventry cycles which are names which have all but disappeared. In the windows can also be seen a vast range of accessories and Robert Robinson's was the place to go for puncture repair kits !
The image would be taken in the 1960sMore detail »
The interior of Robert Robinson's York Road shop. Not only are cycles on sale but also televisions and radios. One advert is for an 'easy to fit car radio 22 gns' The shop was also crammed with cycles and many Hartlepool children of the 50s and 60s will have tried out their first bike at Robert Robinson's.
The photo will have been taken in the mid 1960s.More detail »
This image shows what is most likely the cycle shop in York Road although the other shop images are not 161 York Road and 161 can clearly be seen over the door. Street numbers could well have been reallocated.
It does say that the business was established in 1888 (see other view of Avenue Road Grand Garage)
The photograph has obviously been some type of publicity for the cycle shop and shows Sidney Robinson on the penny farthing and Keith Cox on the small cycle.More detail »
Robert Robinson's Garage, Avenue Road. The showrom on the right was added in 1960. Note the Triumph motor car with the reg no EF 4 parked there.
Sid Robinson also owned EF2 which was the original number plate of his father's De Dion.
HHT&N 687More detail »
A range of 'Vulcan' vehicles displayed around Robert Robinson's premises. Cars are priced at £295 and lorries range from £445 to £545.
The houses on the left were demolished to ake way for a showroom extension in 1960.More detail »
A Triumph motor car parked in a Hartlepool Street. The reg. no. is EF 2and it belonged to Sid Robinson who owned Robert Robinson's Garage in Avenue Road. The plate had originally been on his father's 1903 De Dion
HHT&N 674More detail »