Steam locomotive 60126, 'Sir Vincent Raven' hauling a long string of passenger coaches at West Hartlepool Station. This engine entered service with LNER in 1949, being re-painted in British Rail colours in 1950. It was withdrawn from service in 1965 and scrapped.
Donated by Hartlepool Museum Service
Part of the Shipbuilding collection
Tank Engine 68703 on the docks. It appears that the loco has derailed and that the workers are about to re-rail it. On the extreme right is part of the rail mounted breakdown crane and a spreader bar has been attached under the rear buffers of the engine to lift the rear of the engine back onto the track.
A photo taken from the bus station with the docks cranes and the William Gray shipbuilding offices in the background. The engine is Q6 no. 63407 and it appears to be running light engine back to the sheds on Mainsforth Terrace, while the diesel is a Multiple Unit in the bay at the west end of the station. This view is now completely different with the new overpass to Jackson's Landing having been built.
Steam locomotive 67691 leaving West Hartlepool Station with a string of passenger coaches. This VE-type locomotive was built in 1940, being withdrawn from service in late 1964 and scrapped in early 1965. It ran almost exclusively on the Newcastle to Middlesbrough run.