Most of these images are of Hartlepool (prior to 1967 West Hartlepool) Station.
'OLD' HARTLEPOOL STATION. The first Hartlepool station was opened around 1840 and according to Robert Wood's book 'West Hartlepool' p.24, appears to have been part of a Dutch ship brought onto land. The cabins housed the Booking Clerk and Station Master. The first proper station building was located at the junction of Commercial Street and Bond Street. It can be seen on old maps as a curved building, to the north of the fish quay, and is often labelled as a Goods' Shed. The later station opened to the west of this in Northgate in November 1878. It was also at this time that a new direct line to West Hartlepool opened. There had been an earlier line which crossed the Slake over sluice gates but this was cut to make an entrance to the Coal Dock. For many years after WW2, Hartlepool Station passenger service was solely for school trains from the colliery towns which carried Henry Smith School pupils. It was closed in 1964 after the 1963 Beeching Act, which resulted in the closure of the Easington, Horden and Blackhall Stations. Children from then onwards were brought into the town by bus.
WEST HARTLEPOOL STATION. West Hartlepool's first station was at the end of the line from Stockton in Middleton. Trains then halted at Stranton station, which was in Mainsforth Terrace close to Burbank Street. The next station built was opposite the old Custom House which is in Victoria Terrace, now part of Hartlepool Marina area. Next a large station, called the Leeds Northern Station, was opened in 1853 in Mainsforth Terrace and photographs of this station can be seen below. It was not until 1878 that a new connecting line meant that trains ran again between Hartlepool and West Hartlepool. Finally the present station was opened in 1880 in Church Street and the Mainsforth Terrace station was for many years a goods' station.
West Hartlepool station became Hartlepool station in 1967 when Hartlepool and West amalgamated.
SEATON CAREW STATION. The current Seaton Carew station has been on the same site since the mid-1800s.
GREATHAM STATION. This station came after Seaton Carew on the line south. It was well away from the centre of the village and was adjacent to the Cerebos factory. For many years it was very well used as a simple route from town for Cerebos' workers. It closed in 1991.
HART STATION This station was at the north end of the town.It was at what is now the Hartlepool end of the Hart to Haswell country walk.
Cemetery West signal box, shown in the photo (circa 1920), was located on the railway line from West Hartlepool station, a little before it crosses over West View road on the way up the coast to Newcastle, (location was also known as ‘Cemetery West Junction’). The other line shown on the right of the signal box went to old Hartlepool station and the docks. There were two other signal boxes, ’Cemetery North’ and ‘Cemetery South’ named relative to their location with Spion Cop old cemetery.
Created by NDM
Donated by Hartlepool Museum Service
In September 1964, the bridge at West Hartlepool station closed and both south and northbound trains left from the old northbound platform.
The town had apparently fought the change which had been suggested in April 1964, but had lost the fight. A British Railways spokesman at York said that it was for economic reasons and would be easier for passengers and staff carrying parcels as they would no longer need to use the bridge. West Hartlepool, it went on, would continue the fight.
The signalman in the foreground of the photo is Frederick Lacy, The picture was probably taken in Cemetery West signal box, located on the old railway line from West Hartlepool station, in the early 1920s. His son, Thomas Lacy, also followed in the same work at the same locations.
In Robert Wood's 'West Hartlepool' the author tells us that the first old Hartlepool Railway Station was actually a ship brought onto land. The first custom built station on the Headland opened close to Commercial St.
It became a goods' shed when the 'new' station was built in 1878 a little further west and close to the library. This can clearly be seen on maps up to the 1960s.
For many years, this second station served passengers to West Hartlepool but in later days only carried excursion passengers and children from the nearby colliery villages who attended Henry Smith School. The station closed in 1964 following Mr Beeching's axe when passenger facilities were stopped at Easington, Horden and Blackhall. Children from out of town were then taken to school by bus.
Created by Bill Henderson
Donated by Bill Henderson
Taken in the early 1980s looking towards the old southbound platform which had been out of use for some years. The bridge over the line was closed to the public although it was not to be demolished until the 1990s.
Donated by Robert Wood Collection
Part of the Hartlepool Museum Service collection
Across Mainsforth Terrace from Musgrave Street, there was a level crossing across the railway into Old Town. The signal box is still there in this picture. The houses were demolished in 1981 having replaced the original Old Town housing.
Donated by Douglas Ferriday
Part of the Hartlepool Library Service collection
A railway station information board at West Hartlepool Station many years before the footbridge to the southbound platform 4 was closed. All four platforms were in use at the time and there was a regular train service to Hartlepool (Headland) station.
Created by NDM
Donated by Hartlepool Museum Service
Taken in 1972, the decision had been made to use Seaton Station as an unmanned halt. This shows the southbound platform where only the iron rafters remain. The station master's office, parcel office, ticket office and award winning garden had gone and the subway was to be filled in.
Steam locomotive 60126, 'Sir Vincent Raven' hauling a long string of passenger coaches at West Hartlepool Station. This engine entered service with LNER in 1949, being re-painted in British Rail colours in 1950. It was withdrawn from service in 1965 and scrapped.
Steam locomotive 67691 leaving West Hartlepool Station with a string of passenger coaches. This VE-type locomotive was built in 1940, being withdrawn from service in late 1964 and scrapped in early 1965. It ran almost exclusively on the Newcastle to Middlesbrough run.
A series of photographs showing the derelict (Old) Hartlepool Headland Railway Stations. Images 2 and 6 are interior views of the first Headland station which can be seen on pre 1950s maps as a curved building. On the 1914 map it is labelled Goods Shed. This station was built around 1840.
Image 4 shows Commercial St at the left hand side of the picture, the old station is in the centre and on the right, the large building was an ice house for the fish quay. The Palladium Theatre (1912)/ New Theatre Royal (1868)/ Empress (1899) is in the background with the distinctive air vents on the roof.
Image 1 shows the second Hartlepool Station, opened 1878, centre right with the Carnegie building, once the Headland Library, behind it. On image 9, part of the platform of the second Hartlepool Headland Station can be seen with the library behind.
Gathered at West Hartlepool Railway Station to send off newly married David and Marian Watson (nee Grey Davison), on July 25th, 1927. Identified so far, from left to right are: 5th from the left Robert Gales; Mollie Keenan; Lilian Keenan; Joan Watson (small girl at front); Meg (Patricia) Watson; Agnes Watson (stripey hat). David and Marian are at the front of the elevated group.