hartlepool history logo

Steel Young & Co.


Details about Steel Young & Co.

Robert Livingston and George Steel traded as managers and shipbrokers under the title of G. Steel & Co. The partnership was dissolved in April 1889 with George continuing to trade under G. Steel & Co.

In 1883 he formed a partnership with William Young establishing Steel, Young & Co. They eventually moved the company to London. Almost all the ships they owned were built in Hartlepool. George purchased the Para built by Withy in 1875. This was the first steel steamer to be built at Hartlepool.

Included in their fleet at different times were two ships named Para, two named Kennett and three named Blenheim.

Family History:

George Steel was born at Annan, Dumfriesshire in April 1828. In 1856 he set up business in West Hartlepool as an ironmonger. By the 1881 census he was an ironmonger, shipowner and farmer of 366 acres at Owton Manor. He lived at Owton Manor House with his wife Margaret, two of their sons George Carlyle and Henry Foster and their daughter Jesse.

George died on 11 October 1899 at the age of 71 leaving assets of £83,842.

William Young was born in April 1827 at Chatton, Northumberland. By 1861 he was living at Stranton, West Hartlepool with his wife Mary. By 1891 he was living at Foxgrove Road, Beckenham, Kent and managing the ships from offices at Fenchurch Street, London.

William died on 25 November 1916 leaving effects of £208,376.

 


Location



Related items :