Nelson Street was between Mainsforth Terrace and Lynn Street. Along with some parallel streets, it was demolished in 1958/9.
Taken in 1955, the view looks west from Mainsforth Terrace. On the right the Queen public house is just visible with a Cameron's sign. The South Durham Steelworks water tower is on the left. Lynn Street is at the end of Nelson Street and Crossley Street can be seen beyond this.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »