John Pounder was a plumbing and electrical company which was founded in the town in 1848. It later moved to Stockton Street and in 1962, the Stockton Street shop was extended. By this time, the shop was selling a wide range of heating,electrical goods and gift items. They also had model kitchens and bathrooms on display. It was demolished around 1967 along with the rest of Stockton Street.
Looking west towards Stockton Street up Albion Street. The building facing in Stockton Street is John Pounder plumbing and heating store. The south side of the street was already cleared when this was taken. The number of prams suggests that there were a lot of young families in the street at the time !
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »
Premier Commercial & Temperance Hotel on Stockton Street/ Bell Terrace corner, Hartlepool
To the right of the building is a Coop and beyond that, far right, is Pounder's plumbing and electrical showroom.
H04137More detail »