The North Cemetery, Raby Road, West Hartlepool was opened on 26th April 1856 and the first burial was on 14th May. There are over 53,000 burials recorded but apart from opening of family plots, the cemetery is closed. The chapels were demolished in the 1970s and the oldest part of the cemetery was landscaped and headstones placed along pathways.
There is an active 'Friends of North Cemetery' group with a website and database.
The monument commemorates the lives of soldiers, sailors and airmen who lost their lives in both first and second world wars. Some were buried in Stranton Cemetery and some North Cemetery.More detail »