Opening of Brenda Road at North End, looking down Stockton Road with St. Aidan's Church visible in the background.Whole length of Stockton Road to Tees Road formally opened 9th November 1927, article appeared in Northern Daily Mail. Section between Stockton Road and Seaton Lane opened in 1924 was known as Brenda Street until 1925.
HHT+N 35More detail »
The domestic suppliers and cycle shop was in Stockton Road towards St Aidan's Church. The man in the photo is John Taylor and he also began to sell and repair televisions. The photograph was probably taken in the late 1950s.More detail »
On the corner of Stockton Road and Russell Street, Hart's was a newsagent, tobacconist and toy shop. The board above the front advertises Hornby Dublo Trains, Meccano, Dinky Toys, Pedigree Dolls and Prams, Tri-ang toys and Unity Cycles.
HHT&N 216More detail »
Power's was actually two shops on the corner of Spring Garden Road, Stratford Road and Stockton Road. Both are now converted to houses and this image was taken in 1963.
To the right is the Co-op and this is now Blue Cow butchers. The Co-op is now to the right of the old premises which was then Walter Willson's.More detail »
For many years Rogers' Confectioner & Tobacconist's shop was at the corner of Oxford Street and Stockton Road. The shop itself says Oxford Corner. There is a Travel Agency sign in the left hand window of the shop and on the pavement outside is a sign advertising 'Bee Line Excursions'. The Bee Line garage was in Oxford Road almost diagonally opposite the shop. On the right hand side of the photo is Oxford Street School.
This photo was taken in October 1962.
HHT&N 218More detail »
Taken in 1961, the image is far from clear but shows (a quiet !)Stockton Road with St Cuthbert's RC Presbetery facing. St Cuthbert's School would be to the right of the image in Stratford Road.More detail »
The photograph shows the junction of Stockton Road and the then new Belle View Way as it was under construction. Ewart Parson's garage roof is to the right and a corporation bus can be seen coming out of the part of Stockton Road which runs through Foggy Furze. The Travellers' Rest is just out of sight on the left.
Today there are traffic lights at this junction.More detail »
The image is taken from Westmoreland Street looking across to the now demolished Westbourne Methodist Church. To the left of the large church is the church hall which was built alongside and is now used as both Westbourne Church and hall.
HHT&N 235More detail »