Foster Armstrong shop Murray Street
Probably taken in the early 1960s, the image shows Anchor Mill(demolished 1980) on the left (later images show it without windows at street level. Betwen the mill and the advertising boards was the entrance from Stockton Street to Burbank Street. On the right in Thompson Street, the large warehouse belonged to the Co-op and this still exists as amongst other things car repair garages. The imposing Durham Paper Mill chimney, which was illuminated in red letters at night, can clearly be seen. This was demolished in 1971.More detail »
Taken in 1966 when this was still the main Stockton Road and prior to the building of the dual carriageway into central Hartlepool. The photo is taken from around the Blacksmith's Arms. Foster and Armstrong Anchor Mills on the right was demolished in 1980. The Gaumont cinema, opened in 1919 as The Picture House, is on the left of the picture. The frontage was altered in 1970 when the cinema became Stranton Bingo Club which closed in 1997. To the right of the Gaumont is the Seven Stars public house, again long since demolished.
HHT&N 117More detail »
The photograph shows the roundabout at Belle Vue Way , Stockton Street and Burn Road. At this time the building with the white side wall was the Fruit Market and although is now occupied by a variety of small businesses is still there today. The large building on the left was Foster Armstrong and beyond that Stranton Bingo (formerly the Gaumont Cinema). The areas where the lorries are parked has for some years been McDonald's restaurant and car park.More detail »