Looking west towards Stockton Street up Albion Street. The building facing in Stockton Street is John Pounder plumbing and heating store. The south side of the street was already cleared when this was taken. The number of prams suggests that there were a lot of young families in the street at the time !
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »
The original photograph shows the Goldon Lion public house at the junction of Arthur Street and Stockton Street and in the foreground to the left, the junction with Albion Street. The site is now Hartlepool College. In the background, the first Hartlepool College of Education is being built on the site of the 'A' streets.More detail »
Taken in Stockton Street as the 'A' streets were being demolished in 1964, the advert for Howlett Painters was on the corner of Alfred Street and the shop is on the corner of Albion Street. On the right is The Golden Lion and Arthur Street would have been the street after that.More detail »