Burbank Street, Hartlepool
The image shows the back of the Gaumont cinema (later Fairworld Bingo) on the right and this is now demolished. Cameron's Brewery is clearly visible, as are the offices with the white bay windows. On the left is the Foster and Armstrong building which is now demolished. Currently much ofthis land is vacant although the Royal Mail office is now at the far right.
HHT&N 199More detail »
Taken in 1961 according to the reverse, one side of the Mainsforth Terrace end of Burbank Street had already been demolished. Note the advert for Hartlepool Carnival. Newburn School can be seen at the end of the terrace.More detail »
The original Burbank Street UM Chapel was to the right of this 1875 building and was used as a Sunday School. This large church seated 1,100 people and cost £10,000 to build. It was severely damaged by a Zeppelin raid in March 1918.More detail »
In the area between Burbank Stree, Whitby Street and Musgrave Street, many homes were built in the 1960s from huge concrette slabs and a system of pathways and first floor walkways ran between them. This was never really successful and the homes have since been rebuilt or massively renovated.More detail »
A different view along Burbank Street looking towards All Saints (Stranton) Church. On the right are the two huge Burbank Street Methodist Chapels built in 1868 and 1875.
From a collection of photos commissioned and gathered by West Hartlepool Council.More detail »
Following the demolition of Victorian terraces and shops, a new estate was built in 1969 between these two streets around Flamborough Walk (now come and gone)from concrete blocks with walkways between upper levels. This area was never really successful, was demolished and more appealing further housing built.More detail »
Probably taken in the early 1960s, the image shows Anchor Mill(demolished 1980) on the left (later images show it without windows at street level. Betwen the mill and the advertising boards was the entrance from Stockton Street to Burbank Street. On the right in Thompson Street, the large warehouse belonged to the Co-op and this still exists as amongst other things car repair garages. The imposing Durham Paper Mill chimney, which was illuminated in red letters at night, can clearly be seen. This was demolished in 1971.More detail »
Taken in 1955 looking towards Lynn Street from Mainsforth Terrace. At this point James Street was partly demolished. On the left, the back of the large terraced houses were those in Burbank Street.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »
The original image shows the old Fire Station in Clark Street at the junction with Burbank Street.More detail »
Lily (Livinia) Tombling stands in the doorway of the General Dealer's shop she ran with her husband Joseph from 1923 to 1954 in Burbank Street. Lily was renowned for baking pies. The windows of their shop were blown out by a bomb blast during WWII.
The shop is now a take away, and the left side of the shop is now at the end of a long terrace stretching up to Clark Street. To the right of the shop,a house has possibly been built since this image was taken.More detail »