The first St James' Church was located in Musgrave Street and opened in 1870. It was a new parish formed from parts of Christ Church and Stranton. The church was demolished around 1956 and was replaced by St James' Rossmere Way, Owton Manor .
The new church was dedicated on September 17th 1958 by the Bishop of Durham Rev. Maurice Harland having cost £20,000. The new church had 200 seats. It was reported in Hartlepool Mail on October 22nd 1958 that 400-500 children were turning up to Sunday School every week and that there was a shortage of Sunday School teachers and space.
The church, which opened in 1870, was on the corner of Whitby Street and Musgrave Street. Anew St James' Parish was formed and a new church built in Rossmere Way. The old St James' was demolished in 1956/7.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »