South Road, West Hartlepool, was just west of the Cenotaph and was demolished when the Middleton Grange Shopping Centre was built.
Taken from Thornton Street with South Road across the end of the street. This area is now the large shopping centre car park behind York Road where the market is held.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »
Robert Robinson, Motor & Cycle Engineers & Factors, with the Grand Garage adjacent.More detail »
A range of 'Vulcan' vehicles displayed around Robert Robinson's premises. Cars are priced at £295 and lorries range from £445 to £545.
The houses on the left were demolished to ake way for a showroom extension in 1960.More detail »