Surtees Street, Hartlepool.
The Baltic Chambers were where the offices of some shipowners were situated including that of Furness-Withy and Pyman. It was at the Mainsforth Terrace end of Surtees Street area although a Baltic Chambers 8-10 Charles St (nearby) is listed as being accessed by troops in 1914 on A WW1 website.
Image taken in mid 1980s and the building was demolished in 1996 along with the Palace Hotel, Ropner's Buildings and Exchange School in Mainsforth TerraceMore detail »
Photo was taken in 1966 and is described as Surtees St.
Large building is dated 1866 and the word 'galleries ?' can be seen over the right hand windows.
The bars over the windows suggest that the building was latterly used as warehousing. The building on the right of the picture is possibly Mainsforth Terrace railway station although a 1914 map suggests that it may not have been visible from Surtees St ??More detail »
Upper Surtees Street and the Lex Cinema, Whitby Street, with its distinctive curved, corrugated roof. The two movies advertised on the side of the building are 'The Silver Whip' (a western), and 'Titanic', both released in 1953.
The large building in the background was The Raglan Hotel.
More detail »
Surtees Street with Whitby Street running across. Lex Cinema on the left, Rex Thompson on the right. Old Town straight ahead with a wall enclosing the rail track.More detail »
Surtees Street (?), 1966. Teenage fashion of the day - the lads are Peter Forsyth, John Cooke and Ray Stamper. As for the girls, we only know Penny Dixon on the right, and that the blonde girl's name might be Norma.More detail »