St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Hutton Avenue, Hartlepool opened in 1894.
Taken on July 10th 1948, this is almost certainly the launch of Irish Cedar which was 5627 gross tons and was built for Irish Shipping of Dublin.
At the ceremony are Sir William Gray and his wife (centre) and the priest is Father Francis Dunne of St Joseph's. The altar boys are from St Joseph's also and the second from the right is Jummy Cockerill.
As a note, a strange selection of hats is evident from a bowler, to an Edwardian creation on the right and a headscarf on the left, possibly reflecting the war and lack of availability of new clothing.More detail »