hartlepool history logo

Haswell House

What we know about this image :

A rare photo of Haswell House in Stockton Road. The house was originally built and named Jackson's Lodge by Ralph Ward Jackson. He built it for John Pile,the shipbuilder, to entice him to the new town of West Hartlepool. When Pile left the town, it became the home of Thomas Furness, businessman and brother of Sir Christopher Furness the shipbuilder, who renamed it Haswell House after the maiden name of his wife. In 1905 it became the family home of the Willson family and they were the last occupants. 

In 1931 it was sold to be demolished and Haswell Avenue and Whitfield Drive now occupy the site.

The photo was taken circa 1906.

Donor : Robin and John Willson


Related items :