hartlepool history logo

Haswell House

Details about Haswell House

The house was originally built by Ralph Ward Jackson and was named Jackson's Lodge. Jackson built it for John Pile the shipbuilder to entice him to the new town of West Hartlepool. It was then the home of Thomas Furness a highly successful and affluent grocer with food factories in the town. Thomas renamed it Haswell House, the maiden name of his wife. He was mayor of the town and also brother of Sir Christopher Furness the shipbuilder.

In 1905 it became the home yet another business family, the Willson family and they were to be  the last occupants. 

In 1931 it was sold to be demolished and Haswell Avenue and Whitfield Drive now occupy the site.


Related items :