hartlepool history logo

Exchange School

Details about Exchange School

This school opened in 1878. In 1934 it closed. In 1939 it was taken over by the military who left in 1943. It was then taken over by St Joseph's R.C. primary schools after their premises in Whitby Street was destroyed by enemy action in 1940. The building had already been condemned as unsuitable for use as a school in 1934, but it was not until 1957 that the present St Joseph's school opened in the then Musgrave St (now near Hucklehoven Way).

The building was demolished in 1966 along with others in Mainsforth Terrace after being derelict for many years.


Related items :