hartlepool history logo

The Workhouse

Details about The Workhouse

In the late 1700s and early 1800s, there was a town workhouse at the Friarage (part of which eventually became part of St Hilda's Hospital). In the Poor Law Town Book, lists of paupers and workhouse inmates are given and also details of amounts of money and clothing given to them. 

In 1837, Hartlepool became part of Stockton on Tees Poor Law Union and in March 1859 became independent. A new Union Workhouse was built in 1860 at Howbeck, Throston and this was quickly expanded and became the basis of Hartlepool General Hospital. The old workhouse buildings were gradually demolished in the early part of this current century.


Related items :