Aladdin Industries was a subsidiary of an American company and manufactured vacuum flasks among other items. They ceased production though continued to sell products from contractors under the Aladdin brand. The Aladdin factory in Brenda Road was a victim of this change.More detail »
Opening of Brenda Road at North End, looking down Stockton Road with St. Aidan's Church visible in the background.Whole length of Stockton Road to Tees Road formally opened 9th November 1927, article appeared in Northern Daily Mail. Section between Stockton Road and Seaton Lane opened in 1924 was known as Brenda Street until 1925.
HHT+N 35More detail »
Taken in the mid 1960s, a shop which still exists on the corner of Windermere and Brenda Roads although it has had many uses over the years.
In the right hand of the corner window, which has the Wall's board, is an advert for Jubbly. These were much loved by 1960s children and were blocks of orange ice in the shape of a triangular prism which children would suck until clear ice. The great danger of a Jubbly was that if you pushed at it too hard in the carton, it would shoot out!More detail »
Steelworks use the gases from the blast furnaces and coke ovens as fuel in boilers and reheating furnaces. With the opening of the SDSI South Works, it was necessary to connect the gas distribution system to that at the North Works, and this bridge carried the connecting pipes over Brenda Road. It also carried the rail link between the works.More detail »