Woller Road, Hartlepool
The house was originally owned by the Brown family who were in the timber trade. In 1921, the family donated the clock in Ward Jackson Park. It stands on one side of the Wooler Road/Grange Road roundabout opposite The White House and the photo was taken around 1990.
In the 1950s, the house was a children's home and in the late 1970s and early 1980s was Hartlepool Teachers' Centre. It was converted into luxury flats around 2000.
HHT+N 79More detail »
The image was taken after roadworks in 1963 in Wooler Road with Grange Road at the right and The Parade on the left. A new halt sign gave Grange Road traffic right of way. The house facing along Wooler Road is Hollymount, originally the home of the Browns, a timber family, which is now converted into upmarket apartments. It had for some years been a teachers' centre and before that a children's home.
Behind the wall on the right would be Wilton Grange and on the left The White House public house which at the time was St Francis RC Grammar School.
A roundabout was later built at this junction.More detail »
Taken prior to conversion to The White House public house, this is probably during the last years as part of English Martyrs School(formerly St Francis' Grammar School. The newer building to the right is on the site of Park Villa and there are further school buildings behind the house towards Woodlands. This area became the site of Woodlands housing development.
H04152More detail »
Normanhurst was probably built by Matthew Rickinson and later owned by Sir William Cresswell Gray. During the First World War it was used as a convalescent home for injured soldiers. It later became a Roman Catholic school before converting to a public house (the White House) in the 1980s. It is located in Wooler Road.More detail »
Taken in the mid 1970s, Woodlands was a private home and then part of St Francis' Grammar School and later English Martyrs School. It was demolished and Woodlands private Relton Way housing estate built on the site.
H04155More detail »
Unknown woman and child probably around the turn of the 20th century outside the lodge to Woodlands in Wooler Road. The house is dated 1879.
This lodge does still exist although it is much renovated although Woodlands itself was demolished to make way for Relton Way housing development.More detail »