The Parade is the part of Grange Road which is from the Wooler Road roundabout west towards Ward Jackson Park clock tower. It is an avenue of very distinctive, large Victorian villas built by the affluent industrialists of West Hartlepool in late Victorian times.
Pyman League & Junior Clubs. West Hartlepool 3rd XV 1927/1928
Winners of the Durham County 3rd Teams Cup, Lormor Cup, Capt Young’s Cup, Pyman League and Flag and Dr W S Gibb Shield with a record of Played 30, Won 29 lost 1, Points for 583 against 83.
The picture is believed to have been taken at the home of Mr Ole Aarvold “Higham” in Park Avenue.More detail »
The house was originally owned by the Brown family who were in the timber trade. In 1921, the family donated the clock in Ward Jackson Park. It stands on one side of the Wooler Road/Grange Road roundabout opposite The White House and the photo was taken around 1990.
In the 1950s, the house was a children's home and in the late 1970s and early 1980s was Hartlepool Teachers' Centre. It was converted into luxury flats around 2000.
HHT+N 79More detail »
The image was taken after roadworks in 1963 in Wooler Road with Grange Road at the right and The Parade on the left. A new halt sign gave Grange Road traffic right of way. The house facing along Wooler Road is Hollymount, originally the home of the Browns, a timber family, which is now converted into upmarket apartments. It had for some years been a teachers' centre and before that a children's home.
Behind the wall on the right would be Wilton Grange and on the left The White House public house which at the time was St Francis RC Grammar School.
A roundabout was later built at this junction.More detail »
Taken prior to conversion to The White House public house, this is probably during the last years as part of English Martyrs School(formerly St Francis' Grammar School. The newer building to the right is on the site of Park Villa and there are further school buildings behind the house towards Woodlands. This area became the site of Woodlands housing development.
H04152More detail »
The rather grand looking house (maybe two houses as there are now ? there does only seem to be one garden) is still much the same today although the woodwork is no longer as intricate. See the photo taken around 2000 where it is now clearly two houses.
Possibly taken around 1900.
HO4141More detail »
Park Hill was built in The Parade,Grange Road about 1890 for solicitor Matthew Harrison who was from Grosmont near Whitby. The house was demolished around 1950 after his son William died. Until the late 1990s, the site was vacant and is now used as the entrance road to the Woodlands estate.
To the left on the photo is Normanhurst which, after it was a private home, first became part of St Francis' School and is now The White House public house.More detail »
The photo was taken about the time the nearby St Bega's Glade houses were built. The bowling green in the foreground is completely overgrown and shortly after this the building began to become a target for vandals.
HHT+N 78More detail »