Bus Stations in Hartlepool and Seaton Carew.
A slightly damaged photograph of the the interior of Blumer's Bus Depot at Sapper's Corner - date unknown. In the background is one of the company's original Ford buses, kept long after it had been withdrawn from service, for sentimental reasons by Mr. Thomas Blumer.
HHT&N 634More detail »
A 1975 photograph of the Hartlepool Borough Transport Bus Park at the bottom of Church Street/Mainsforth Terrace. Eight buses are parked-up: from left to right - Bristol RE; Leyland Leopard; Leyland Titan with platform doors; Bristol RE; Leyland Titan with open platform; and three Bristol REs, the last two being painted in the new livery.More detail »
The photograph was taken in 1967, probably later in the year, by Harry Elliott who was the manager of Pattison's Chemist shop in York Road and was a member of the Camera Club.
The red buses are United, the blue single and double deckers are of Sunderland District, the brown bus is Gillette Brothers and just visible in between the United buses, is a TMS bus.
The only feature still there today are the floodlights of Hartlepool United which had only just been erected that year. The bus station itself, the large United garage behind it and the water tower were all demolished in the early 1990s.More detail »
Taken in the bus station, this is a G and B Motor Services bus belonging to the Gillett brothers and Joseph Baker who had both begun services in 1923. In 1926, a service between Thornley, Wheatley Hill and Hartlepool was begun, the two companies amalgamating into G and B and then extending the route to Durham. In 1928 they added a service to Bishop Auckland from West Hartlepool.
The Baker family sold out to the Gilletts in 1959 but the public always referred to the buses as G and B. In 1974 after the death of the two Gillett brothers, the company was sold to United.
The image is probably taken in the late 1950s and the livery was dark brown and cream.More detail »
Taken in 1963, this is a Gillett Brothers bus which would still have been called G and B by the public. SEE G and B bus on this page.
The destination board says, amongst other places, Bishop Auckland, Wingate, Wheatley Hill, South Church and Spennymoor.
The livery was brown and cream.More detail »
The Northern bus company livery was a maroon red colour. The company was founded in 1913 and ceased operation in 1967. Buses ran from West Hartlepool to Newcastle through Sunderland and Eadt Boldon.
This image probably from the early 1960s shows the Northern Daily Mail office in Clarence Road very clearly.More detail »
Probably taken in the early 1950s or before, the image shows three seemingly unoccupied buses the first with the destination West Hartlepool. Adverts are Binns, Typhoo Tea, Sparks and Andrews Liver Salts. The bus station opened in 1938.
HHT&N 135More detail »
Gone are the days when thousands of visitors would alight from coaches and buses here to spend the day at the beach. The benches under the canopies now serve as a place for people to sit and eat their fish and chips whilst sheltering from the wind.More detail »
TMS was Trimdon Motor Services which ran successfully for many, many years, finally finishing in 2010 although services to Hartlepool finished before then.
This photo was probably taken in the late 1950s in the bus station and looking towards Clarence Road. This bus is going to Sedgefield and the destination board on the bus stand shows the Trimdon, Kellie, Coxhoe and Durham.
There are two ' clippiesor bus conductresses on the left.
TMS livery was blue.More detail »
Taken in West Hartlepool bus station around 1966, is one of many United buses which went in and out of the bus station. Behind is Clarence Road and the old Northern Daily Mail office.
The livery of United buses was a scarlet red.More detail »