'Wagga' was a local nickname for the area officially called Longhill. It was an area originally built by Thomas Richardson to the west of his steelworks comprising Florence Street, Hill Street and Portland Street and these remote streets, named after the Australian Wagga Wagga, were remote from the rest of the town and without drainage or paving. The whole area around Sydenham Road eventually was given this nickname.
Ewart Booth in front of his grocery and provision store which was in King Street, Hartlepool, an area known as the 'Wagga'. The lady in the picture was his assistant and was known as 'Miss Fawcett'.
Locals called the store BoothiesMore detail »
Taken from Hughes corner shop at 70 Florence Street in the early 1900s, the image shows Mary Ann Hughes who married George Henry Hughes. The shop was still open until, along with the other two Wagga streets, Florence Street was demolished.
This photo is from an American lady, Linda Hughes Hiser, who has done a lot of family research and also luckily has ancestors who kept photos !
To read more about the family and Linda's research about her Hartlepool branch, follow this link.
More detail »
Taken in the Winter Street/ Sydenham Road area. The gypsy children would briefly attend St Aidan's School Longhill.
The main gypsy families are listed in 'Beneath the Wagga Moon' 1998 which is in Hartlepool Library.More detail »
Taken around 1959, the picture shows the playground of St Aidan's Infant School Longhill. On the right wearing glasses is the headmistress Miss Molly Pattison who later went on to Oxford Street School.The other two adults are Reta Campbell and Jean Bluckert. Behind the wall on the right was Windermere Road and behind the school were the Steelworks cooling towers. Just out of sight is Seaton High Light which has now been moved to the Marina.
The infants' school moved to St Aidan's Loyalty Road in 1960-1.More detail »
St Aidan's Infants, Longhill 1952.
Known faces are : 7th from left back row Alfie Walsh.
Middle: ?, ?,?, Veronica Bennett, Paula Nash, Linda Braham, Ivor THomas, ?, Carole O Connor, ?, ? , Tommy Rudd, ?
Front row: 4th from left Marlene Hall,?,Margaret Pike, Irene Chilton, ? ,?, Miss Dobson, ?, Carole Thompson, Pauline Ainsley, ? , Valerie STott , Jaqueline PlayforMore detail »
The Herbert family children outside their home at No.9 Portland Street, Longhill, West Hartlepool, taken sometime in the late 1890s or eraly 1900s. At the back is the eldest child Bella, holding baby Elizabeth and the tall boy next to her is Tommy, who was killed during the Frirst World War.
The names of the other children are Dot, Cilla, Danny (who later ran a newspaper kiosk in Church Street), Marshall and Derick.