Hart Lane. The B1376, Hart Lane runs from Raby Road (orignally pre 1967 Hart Road) to Hart Village.
Taken in the early 1960s, this is Anderson and Gow General Dealer on the corner of Hart Lane and Thornhill Gardens. The shop must have had a delivery service at this point as there is a bicycle with a large basket on the front out side the shop. There are five types of cigarette advertised and a large window display of Kellog's products in one window. Before 1920, the garage (later Leeming's Garage now demolished) on the opposite corner was owned by Harry Bailes who was a specialist in tractor repair. At that time, the garage was on the very edge of Hartlepool with a number of farms very close by. In 1920, he apparently bought the shop on the photo and the land next to it was a tea garden. It then became a garage supposedly having the first petrol pump in West Hartlepool. Today, both the garage and shop still exist although the garage is used for car repair and servicing.More detail »
Taken around 1933, as the school opened in 1934, the image shows the site in Hart Lane opposite St Luke's Church, where Sacred Heart School would be built. In the background, Percy Street can be seen and also the tower on Jesmond Road School.More detail »
Corner of Hart Lane and Raby Road, Hartlepool. The church in the background is the now demolished Hart Road Methodist Church.More detail »
THis building was Hart Lane Infants' School. The building was bought by the RC Church in 1901 and hundreds of children were taught there before it closed in 1934 when nearby Sacred Heart School opened. The school was on the corner of Mildred Street and Hart Lane and was later used asa garage for wedding limousines and taxis.More detail »
The image appears to be from the 1920s. On the left, in Raby Road is Howbeck Terrace and then after the shop would be Middleton Road. Hart Road Methodist Church is on the other side of Middleton Road. All buildings on the left are now demolished. Raby Road continues towards the town after the crossroads but before 1967 was called Hart Road. On the right is the North Cemetery wall, then Hart Lane. The shops on the right are little changed today.
HHT+N 630More detail »