A mother dresses her child under a towel near the drinking fountain. Cars are parked on the waste ground, their occupants probably enjoying a day on the sands.The image is between 1900 and 1923 as the house next to the Marine Hotel has not yet been demolished.
The Promenade, Seaton Carew looking South to the village. Some men are erecting a street light to the right. The people are gathering to view 'Egbert' the tank which is on display. Egbert was a battle scarred tank which was given to West Hartlepool in 1918 as a reward for their fund-raising efforts.
1950. Jim Robinson (on the right) with his son John and wife Doris (nee Morgan) in the centre, who lived in Thornton Street and joined "The Land Army" during WW2. Later, they had a nursery school "Robins Nest" on Westbourne Road. Jim was a prominent sailor and member of the Teesside Sailing Club (Middleton) and won many races including National Championships.
Seaton Carew seafront looking south towards the River Tees. This is an image taken from one of a number of glass plate negatives found in Frank Wright's shop in York Road, in the 1960s. The plates are believed to originate from the 1890s.
The Cafe Royal was originally built as a farmhouse and the small building stored the rocket lines and other equipment used for saving life at sea. In the 1970's and 80s it was in use as a police station. This busy beach scene was photographed in 1913.
Sewerage outfall pipe at Seaton Carew. You can see the new water treatment plant being constructed in the background. After this was finished, the outfall pipe was replace with a new one going under the sand.
Donated by Hartlepool Library Services
Part of the Hartlepool Library collection
The South Shelter in 1977. Both The North and South Shelters were completed in 1926 along with the extension of the promenade from the Staincliffe to Seaton Lane. The South Shelter could hold 1,500 people. Provision had been made to add another storey should it be required. The whole scheme cost £42,000.
Created by James Whitehead Pattison
Donated by Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, County Durham
Part of the Pattison's Photographs collection
Taken in 1888 Pattison's caption on this image was 'Looking north from Mrs Burton's shop.' Her shop was situated on the Snook. The bathing machines are lined up on the beach. The old 34 pound cannon on the verge was brought up from the mouth of the Tees and thought to have come from a French ship. Note the barometer and the boy with with his musical instrument .
These square tents were very popular in the summer even on days when the weather was not so good! They folded up and when they were put up, the children enjoyed filling up the pockets round the bottom with sand which kept them anchored.
On this 1950 photo are Ethel Crowe, Evelyn Dunnington, Tot Crowe and Hilda Crowe.