Donated by Douglas Ferriday
Part of the Hartlepool Library Service collection
In about 1930 George Siddle began a thriving business in Seaton. He obtained sole rights to rent beach sites to icecream salesmen, donkey keepers and others wanting to ply their wares to the hundreds of visitors that frequented the area during the summer. He ran his empire from No. 4 the Front.
The four men in full swimming costumes don't look to be too happy to be posing! They are in front of bathing machines. Through the gap between the machines in the street behind is the sign for the Seven Stars Inn dating the photo to pre 1900.
Created by James Whitehead Pattison
Donated by Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, County Durham
Part of the Pattison's Photographs collection
The children are all smiling for the camera except one little boy in his sailor suit whose attention appears to be elsewhere. The children include Ralph and Fred Mullins, two Lumley boys, ? Vitty and Lillian Hogg.
Donated by Hartlepool Library Services
Part of the Hartlepool Library collection
A 19th century view looking towards Hartlepool from Carr House Sands at the south end of Seaton Carew. The church of St Hilda and the town wall can be seen in the distance. A horse and cart are waiting to be loaded, probably with sea coal.
A group below the slipway at the end of Station Lane, Seaton Carew, are watching a boy placing a ball in position. This appear to be a form of a game of golf. The white house in the background, known as Franklin's Corner, was demolished to give way to new buildings. The photo would date from the late 19th century.
On the beach near to the Green at Seaton Carew a boy has placed a ball on what looks like a high tee. Some of the group are holding long sticks with a sort of mallet on the end. The game appears to be a form of golf.
The tall house in the centre of the view was on the south-east corner of the Green & was demolished in the early 20th century.
In 1914, ten BE-2 aircraft from No.2 Squadron landed on Seaton Carew beach as one 'hop' in their journey from Montrose to Salisbury Plain. Their arrival generated very large crowds! Film footage of their arrival can be seen on Youtube at this link - http://youtu.be/1T384Hd2syw
The Cafe Royal was originally built as a farmhouse and the small building stored the rocket lines and other equipment used for saving life at sea. In the 1970's and 80s it was in use as a police station. This busy beach scene was photographed in 1913.