Built by Thomas Mowbray Stonehouse in 1938 in the Art Deco style, the structure made architectural history with the first use of curved concrete. It was officially opened on 29th June 1938.
Trolleybus lines did not extend to the bus station and still stopped at the Seaton Hotel.
Probably taken in the early 1950s or before, the image shows three seemingly unoccupied buses the first with the destination West Hartlepool. Adverts are Binns, Typhoo Tea, Sparks and Andrews Liver Salts. The bus station opened in 1938.
HHT&N 135More detail »
Gone are the days when thousands of visitors would alight from coaches and buses here to spend the day at the beach. The benches under the canopies now serve as a place for people to sit and eat their fish and chips whilst sheltering from the wind.More detail »
Showing men working on the construction of the Seaton Carew Bus Station which was completed in June 1938. It was built by Thomas Mowbray Stonehouse in the art deco style. The building made architectural history with the first use of curved concrete in construction.More detail »