Grange Road, looking eastwards. Beside the road junction on the left is Grange Road Methodist Church. Further down the road, on the right, is the tower of St. Paul's Anglican Church.
H04094More detail »
The house was originally owned by the Brown family who were in the timber trade. In 1921, the family donated the clock in Ward Jackson Park. It stands on one side of the Wooler Road/Grange Road roundabout opposite The White House and the photo was taken around 1990.
In the 1950s, the house was a children's home and in the late 1970s and early 1980s was Hartlepool Teachers' Centre. It was converted into luxury flats around 2000.
HHT+N 79More detail »
The image was taken after roadworks in 1963 in Wooler Road with Grange Road at the right and The Parade on the left. A new halt sign gave Grange Road traffic right of way. The house facing along Wooler Road is Hollymount, originally the home of the Browns, a timber family, which is now converted into upmarket apartments. It had for some years been a teachers' centre and before that a children's home.
Behind the wall on the right would be Wilton Grange and on the left The White House public house which at the time was St Francis RC Grammar School.
A roundabout was later built at this junction.More detail »
The rather grand looking house (maybe two houses as there are now ? there does only seem to be one garden) is still much the same today although the woodwork is no longer as intricate. See the photo taken around 2000 where it is now clearly two houses.
Possibly taken around 1900.
HO4141More detail »
Park Hill was built in The Parade,Grange Road about 1890 for solicitor Matthew Harrison who was from Grosmont near Whitby. The house was demolished around 1950 after his son William died. Until the late 1990s, the site was vacant and is now used as the entrance road to the Woodlands estate.
To the left on the photo is Normanhurst which, after it was a private home, first became part of St Francis' School and is now The White House public house.More detail »
Taken in 1968, the image shows hoardings and possibly a lock up garage. One advert is clearly for Hartlepool Carnival on The Town Moor, another for The Royal Navy. THis land is today still empty and currently used as parking land.More detail »