Images and stories relating to motor cars in Hartlepool and the surrounding area.
To get from Hartlepool to his work in Fishburn, Jim Robinson bought a second-hand Austin 7 car for £65 in 1952. The engine used to seize up and Jim would strip it down and fix it overnight in time to go to work next day. The generator used to overheat and melt the solder on the commutator wiring thus losing all electrical power to the car. He kept a hand cranked generator in the glove compartment and used to hand crank this while driving to keep the car running until he could re-solder the wires.
Taken in 1959, this view of the A698 is from the bottom of Claxton Bank looking towards Hartlepool. At the top of that bank is the turn off to Greatham on the right and Dalton on the left. As a single carriageway to Wolviston and the A19, this section was an accident blackspot.
Now the road is of course a dual carriageway and carries traffic from the A19 and beyond into Hartlepool.More detail »
Early car outside a garage. Perhaps owned by a wealthy gentleman as the driver is in the attire worn by a chauffeur. Reg No. is EF 20. the car looks to be c1904. Note the hand crank to the front.More detail »
Penny Dixon sitting on the bonnet of a Wolseley Hornet in 1966. The car's registration plate is a 'C' - 1965. In the background is the old Empire Theatre, which ended its days as a Bingo Hall in 1964.More detail »
Robert Robinson's Garage, Avenue Road. The showrom on the right was added in 1960. Note the Triumph motor car with the reg no EF 4 parked there.
Sid Robinson also owned EF2 which was the original number plate of his father's De Dion.
HHT&N 687More detail »
A range of 'Vulcan' vehicles displayed around Robert Robinson's premises. Cars are priced at £295 and lorries range from £445 to £545.
The houses on the left were demolished to ake way for a showroom extension in 1960.More detail »
Taken prior to WW2, this is Ron Chatterton's Riley 7-17 Sports Tourer. The car cost 40 guineas and road tax was £4. Adverts said the three wheeler had 'phenomenal road holding.'
The photo was thought to have been taken in Hartlepool, but with a bit of research it seems that the bus on the right belongs to Coventry. With some help from Coventry Bus Enthusiasts we discover that it is Gosford Street in Coventry and the large building in the background is the large Morris car plant. The view is apparently much changed today.More detail »
This car-full of people was taken circa 1926, possibly on North Road, Seaton Carew. The driver is Mildred Steele, with young Margaret Hindmarsh in the middle and Ethel ? on the right. The young girl standing up in the back is Nora Hindmarsh, while Mrs. Isabel Hindmarsh holds baby Wifred. Seated alongside is young Isabel Hindmarsh. Unfortunately the name of the girl sitting on the running-board is not known.More detail »
Shew Motor car reg no BR 211. The SHEW was rediscovered after years in storage at Wynyard Hall and before ‘restoration’. Note the solid tyres, flatbed back and striped colour scheme on the seat sides. It is now in possession of Beamish Museum. It was probably used around Hartlepool being at Wynyard Hall.
HHT&N 667More detail »
A young boy sitting at the wheel of a Shew Motor car reg no BR 211. The SHEW rediscovered after years in storage at Wynyard Hall and before ‘restoration’. Note the solid tyres, flatbed back and striped colour scheme on the seat sides. Now in possession of Beamish museum.
HHT&N 670More detail »
A Triumph motor car parked in a Hartlepool Street. The reg. no. is EF 2and it belonged to Sid Robinson who owned Robert Robinson's Garage in Avenue Road. The plate had originally been on his father's 1903 De Dion
HHT&N 674More detail »
Corporation bus No. 19 (EF 7946) is shown in Church Street in the 1950s on arrival from the Park. A rare Austin A90 Atlantic car is parked alongside the Shades Hotel. (John Fozard)
More detail »